Monday, July 8, 2013

Week 7 - Not Just For Teens



I read the article The Next Big Thing: Adults Reading Teen Literature. This article was very informative. I am a 35 year old who reads young adult books. I am not entirely into reading what is "hot" right now, but loves to read what interests me in that genre. Young Adult fiction does remind me of the coming of age and it transports me back to my teen years!! Young Adult genre will always be on my list to read.

The next article that I read was New Adult: Needless Marketing-Speak or Valued Subgenre. I thought this article was very interesting in talking about the subgenre "new adult" within young adult. I think that this a way to grab those young adults in the 18-23 year old range. I think that these new adult books will help them "prepare" for what can happen in life during that age range. The only thing that I have an issue with is if there is sex in those books, you definitely have to figure out where it will be shelved.

I commented on Jaime B. blog and Sue F. blog.

One of the websites that I have followed is Teenreads. This website has the ultimate reading list to inspire teens to keep reading. What is nice about this list is that it gives a picture of the cover of the book and a synopsis of what the book is about. Teenreads has a coming soon section. This highlights what books are coming out in print with a summary of what the book is about. This website gives great reviews of titles that are currently out in print. I like how they highlight the genre /appeal factors in green next to the title. I thought that having contests was a great way to draw teens in to the website and to also read!! This website, I think, is intended for teens (14-18) and new adults (19-26).

The other website that I have followed is Forever Young Adult (FYA). I think website is intended for older young adults.  I saw reviews for TV shows back when I was in high school. The website has an older feel to it trying to grab the older young adult audience. I like how they give their reviews for books; they do book reports. I think that this website is successful because it has over 5800 followers on Facebook.

The website for teen imprints LB Teens, gives a good variety of teen books that are out or coming out. I also like how you can chat live with authors about their books. The other website for teen imprints, Teens/Penguin Young Readers, gives a good variety of teen books that are out or coming out. I also like that you can go to the books website to see what/how they are promoting it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen,

    I found your comments about the "new adult" subgenre within YA interesting. I hadn't thought about the idea that they could be preparing young adults for situations they will encounter in their lives. Many of these books deal with tough issues where critical thinking and taking responsbility comes into play. An interesting take on it!

    - Julie Presley

    ReplyDelete